Peach muffin with passionfruit icing.


 

Yields: 5 big muffins or 6 cupcake-sized muffins
Peach muffin, why peach muffin? Because I feel like doing something out of the box and I don't think I have ever seen peach muffin in any coffee shops in Sydney. Also because I love peach iced tea. And because it was on sale in my local supermarket, lol.

And the idea of passionfruit icing just makes sense for a peach muffin, it just sounds very summery. It's funny that I used to not like passionfruit, I think it's a weird fruit... but now I love everything passionfruit. The story of me not liking passionfruit goes back when I was a kid. I was staying in Hilton Hotel, Jakarta, Indonesia, and there was a fruit bowl in my room and passionfruit is one of the selection. I dissected the fruit, and found nothing but black seed with yellow surroundings. It just looked very unappealing. I didn't know what to do with it and so I just threw it in the garbage bin, piling it with lots of tissue so my mom wouldn't find out, lol.

So the image of passionfruit  has always been unappealing to me.

About a year ago, I went to Bourke Street Bakery and found the best thing to make someone like me to like passionfruit, it was a passionfruit meringue tart. I actually made it last year and maybe I will post the recipe soon. It was an original recipe from Bourke Street Bakery itself :). It was a very very good tart with a nice sour passionfruit flavor. I think it's the best tart I've had so far.

Anyway, this recipe is broken down to 2 parts: the muffin recipe and the passionfruit icing. It is very important to make the muffin first so that it has a chance to cool down to room temperature...

So, here's the recipe for the best peach muffin with passion fruit icing... :p


INGREDIENTS: (muffin)

  • 3/4 cup plain flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 2/3 cup white sugar (if you are not using the passionfruit icing, consider putting more sugar in)
  • 1 large egg
  • 2/4 cup milk
  • 50gr butter melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 large yellow peach, seeded and diced

METHOD:

Preheat your oven to 200°C.

The second step is optional... it is making the muffin liner with a baking paper. If you are rushing or you don't feel like making this, you can just use a cupcake liner and it will work just as good. I just thought that muffin lined this way has a very cute and rustic look. And, if you ran out of cupcake liner, don't panic! Here's an alternative...

Cut 5-inch (13 cm) squares of baking paper.


Use a cup base with the same diameter as the muffin tin to press the baking paper. Grease the tin beforehand, so the paper would stick to it. Make sure that the folded paper on the side lies really flat against the cup, so that the batter won't end up in the creases.


Once you got your liners ready, let's move on the the wet ingredients.
First thing you need to do is melt the butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds and let it cool to room temperature. While waiting... into a mixing bowl, crack the egg, pour the milk and vanilla extract, then whisk away. Once the butter has cooled down, pour into the egg-milk mixture. Then, put in the diced peach.

In a different bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and sugar. Whisk with balloon whisk.


Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredient and pour the wet ingredient in.


With a balloon whisk, fold the mixture very gently but making sure that these two ingredients are combined in the shortest time and with the fewest fold possible.


Pour the mixture into the liners...
This picture below was taken when I forgot to take a picture of the poured batter and so I pulled it out of the oven after 1 minute.


but decided that it was too dark, so I pulled it out all the way to the bench to take a picture...


I just realized that this is a very unimportant details...




Anyway..... after 25-30 minutes, this was what I took out of the oven...



It has risen up nicely with a perfect crisp topping and it was very fragrant. Here's another shot from afar to show the muffin liners and how much it has risen... (and the ground white pepper background)



I was very happy to break up one of the muffin to see the inside. It was very moist and light. I think the peach contributed to the moistness. The crisp top and the moist inside are a very good combo.
It wasn't very sweet, but it has a nice peach aroma. It is meant to have subtle sweetness, because it will be topped with the passionfruit icing later.



INGREDIENTS: (icing)

  • 1/3 cup passionfruit pulp (3-4 passionfruits)
  • 50g butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar

METHOD:

Run the passionfruit pulp to a strainer and press all the juices with a spoon. Then put in all the black seed to the extracted juice.

Combine the juice, butter and icing and whisk vigorously until the icing sugar has dissolved and the mixture thickened. If the mixture is too runny, add more icing sugar, until a consistency in which it drips slowly from a spoon. If it is too thick, add a tablespoon of milk.


Use a spoon to spoon the icing on top of the cooled muffin and refrigerate to set the icing. To serve, take out of the fridge 5-10 minutes before eating. This can be stored up to 5 days in the fridge.



Here's the final look of a soft, crumbly, moist muffin with a crisp top and sweetened with the slightly sour passionfruit icing.


So happy that this will be my breakfast tomorrow for my morning class! Something to look forward to despite having to wake up early tomorrow. It's 1AM now and I am hungry from writing this post, so I better go to bed now...



Good night peeps and do give this recipe a go! :)

Comments

Popular Posts