Brewtown Newtown

Buzzing trend about one of the best (or maybe the best) cronuts in Sydney had enticed me to go all the way to Newtown (a suburb with very limited parking space), and although I have to wait for almost half an hour when I was SO hungry... It was all worth it!

The place was buzzing and this was on a Sunday at around 1pm. The waitstaffs were all very attentive and kept apologizing to us for having to wait for too long. They were all very, very friendly. Despite the fact that they had to work on a busy Sunday.


If Newtown seems too far from you, Gnome in Surry Hills actually has a similar menu to Brewtown as they are under the same owner :). Gnome is a pretty little cafe on the corner of Crown St and Davies St. Would definitely go there next time, cause they're closer to where I live.

-----

 Cappuccino (AUD 3.50)

Since the name of the cafe is "brew"town Newtown, I expected a lot from their coffee. And they do deliver. It was a good cuppa :)





Man, I was so drooling for the cronuts. Even though they don't have the fancy icing circling the top and no custard injection, they actually look more salivating. One of my friends had this to take away as a snack while waiting for our table. She said that it was really good and cruncy on the outside, and not too greasy in the inside.

 Squid ink linguine, garlic chilli prawns, kale and parmesan (AUD 18.5)

The crunchy fresh prawns works really well with the kale, a combination I did not expect. For those who thinks that the black colour is a turn off, think again when you have this. It was so good.


 Baked polenta with mushrooms, grilled asparagus, poached egg & parmesan (AUD 15) 
Once the dish arrived, one thing I can really smell was the truffle oil.
The star of this dish is of course the polenta, which was cooked very well and had a really nice flavour to it. All the other components were a compliment to the polenta.

Elvis burger. ground beef, savory cronut, canadian bacon, gruyere and mayo served with chips and relish (AUD 16.5)

In my opinion, this is the star of Brewtown Newtown. The beef patty inside were really, really good. I don't normally like burger patties, but this one I love. The gruyere gives a perfect saltiness and the creamy mayo and crispy bacon were super scrumptious. Seriously. The chips were okay, but the relish was too sweet for my liking. Other than that, it was a perfect "burger". The cronut were crispy on the outside, giving it extra texture. Super recommended.


Round 2: Dessert. Although I really wanted the iced and cinnamon cronuts, I had to try the cronut affogato. And if I do had the cronuts, I'd have like 3 cronuts in one day: Regular cronuts, burger and cronut affogato. That's too much fat, even for me.

 

The had selections of ice cream flavour to choose from, to top the cronut.

Fresh brewed espresso poured on the cronut and ice cream.

 Cronut Affogato (AUD 7)
One thing I did not like about this affogato: the serving cup. It was so hard to reach the cronut and I really wanted my first bite to be a little bit of everything. But once the ice cream melted a bit, my oh my, it was so delicious. But, really, I'd rather go to Gnome in Surry Hills as they serve it properly on a dish.

----------------

Would definitely come back for the iced and cinnamon cronuts (or maybe will go to Gnome for that) and the Elvis Burger.



Food: 7.5/10
Service: 8.5/10
Price: $$

Brewtown Newtown on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular Posts